Saturday, May 22, 2010

Happy Birthday Papa Couch!

My dad just turned 57! He's such a fun and great guy. I remember as a little girl always being in love with my daddy. In fact, I recall saying that I wanted to marry him. Funny thing, Shem and my dad are so alike it's freaky...so in a way, I got my wish! I mean don't a lot of girls marry men that are like their fathers? Hmmm, just my opinion I suppose. Anyway, he's a wonderful father and friend. I love you, daddy!

Through out my life, with each birthday celebration for him, I didn't go to great lengths to make it special. But this birthday, now that I'm a parent as well, I wanted to show him that I really do appreciate him. This is what I did...

A few weeks ago we celebrated Grandma Wanlass' birthday. We had a nice brunch at Crackers and made our way back to their house to have a delectable cake made by Shanna. I loved it so much, I decided to make the same cake for my dad. It's an angel food cake embellished with lime-flavored whipped cream frosting and tons of berries. And boy is it good! Considering that over the last 6 months my dad has had to go on a doctor supervised diet to save his heart, this dessert was a great choice. (Let's just ignore the fact that I made my own whipped cream instead of using cool whip...yes, I couldn't resist). Making a few modifications was definitely worth it. Everyone loved it...especially dad. Of course, I hoped he would like it; it was a bit different than his traditional yellow cake with chocolate frosting (note: this is also Shem's favorite cake. Scary, I know).


All in all the cake was great and the company even better. Family birthdays are the best! Its always nice to have the opportunity to spend time with the family. Although, I'm sure my dad would have loved having ALL his grandkids there. We miss Randy and Debbie's kids, Brayden, Connor, and Nathan. But it's so amazing to see my parents make the most of the time they do get to spend with their Arizona grandkids. I love talking to my mom only to find out that her and my dad were just visiting Colin or Emmalee and Cayleb. The way my mom sees it is that since they can't always come visit them, why not go see them? It's hard having both Jason and Chris doing rotations. It is a definite change compared to the way things used to be. I miss those days, but the times we do get to see my brothers and their families it's always a treat.





Here's some shots of the grandkids. Aren't they all so cute?

Colin: Finally eating something...it had to be cake

Cayleb and Emmalee: Pretending to be mice after Emmalee sampled part of her upcoming dance recital

Maycee: Discovering that daddy's thumb can function as a substitute pacifier

Shem and me: Yes, we're in love

I wish I got shots of the other couples! Honestly, I felt a little bit like a zealot with the camera...I didn't want to be too overbearing. Next gathering I will get more pictures of the rest of the family.

Funny story: I was in such a hurry to get to my parents before the celebration to decorate the cake that when I left the house I grabbed a different shoe for each foot. Even funnier, I went to multiple stores on the way over! I'm a true mom. Wow.

Here's to you, dad! We love you and appreciate you. Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment