Sunday, July 24, 2011
journaling
Today at church, there was a wonderful talk given about the importance of keeping a record of our lives. As the talk starts out, I think to myself wow, I'm really good at journaling because I keep a blog. As the talk proceeds, these points are brought up:
-write about YOURSELF
-write about the people around you
-write about current political/social events
-write about your triumphs
-write about your struggels/trials
-share your spirituality
-and most importantly, BE HONEST
Those points put me in my place! All this time I have been thinking I was pretty good about giving updates here and there, when in reality, I have really been slacking. With the intention of keeping a personal record for our posterity, I feel like I've not been fulfilling that! The most striking point was that of writing about yourself. I have a phobia about appearing self-centered (had some INTERESTING things said to me on the topic, ex. EFY teacher, ha..long story) and avoid talking about myself to anyone no matter what the vehicle (computer, text, face to face, etc). Throughout all my life, my parents have taught me to be considerate of others. Therefore, I have yet to fully feel confident in talking about me, me, me. I hope I'm not the only loon who thinks like that?... haha anyway, I am truly motivated! In a sense, I am choosing to doing some inward reflecting. Time to focus on ME!
And what have I learned today about me? Well, number one...I cannot make anyone do what I think is right. I cannot make Maycee eat her vegetables and I most certaintly cannot make my Biology teacher push back our test dates because we only have a week to prepare. I can't make those close to me understand my love for them or those that I do not favor understand my lack of love for them. So what have I learned about ME in these realizations? Well, that I have not fully understood this principle until today. In my life, very recently, I have felt great peace. I have felt love for those around me in ways that I have forgotten I could feel. Each day I find something to be grateful for, whether it be a roof over my head, or the random check in the mail/random job that brings in just enough money to carry us another month or two. Truly, I feel blessed. I know I'm blessed and so is my family of three. And beginning today I want to keep myself reminded to not "control", rather to let people have their agency.
In conclusion, I plan on journaling consistently about my personal experiences. I do not feel comfortable doing it publicly here on this blog, but will share certain occurrences here and there, such as my thoughts today. It is such a great feeling knowing how important this simple task really is and having an appreciation for it.
The end.
Happy Sunday, I hope it was a restful one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

what a great idea! I love all the different prompts :) you are fabulous! I want to get together with you soon!
ReplyDeletei have a blog account... but I don't know where to start :-(
ReplyDeleteAlexis, YES! I'd love to get together, too! I'm done with summer school in less than two weeks, woo hoo!
ReplyDeleteRemle....I can help you with a blog. I'm not a pro at it, but definitely know what to do when it comes to format, style, etc... E-mail me and I'd be happy to help you! andreawanlass@gmail.com TTYS!
Thanks Andrea! I'll just have to actually force myself to start writing one lol. I've bought the tools I needed to make one but I'm just slacking. But I do desire to leave something behind that my kids could read one day so they can understand their daddy's feelings better.
ReplyDelete